Other areas of research & academic interests are: Usability engineering, Product Design, Design Management, Instruction Design & E-Learning; Pedagogy & Graphic Design, Human Factors. Major axis of Research from 2003 to date has examined how the design of Graphical User Interfaces affect students’ social cognition and their qualitative perception of the computer based assessment system. Dr. Dhar’s research investigated how design elements fosters test performance at multiple levels of analysis, including (a) how the design of interacting elements of a computer based test GUI interacts with the cultural dimensions to shape the test outcome of the students, and (b) how individual differences at various levels of computer anxiety and computer attitude is influenced by the GUI design elements in a computer based test format.The outcome of this research has immediate applications in On-line Examination format design, educational Technology & Instructional Design.
PhD – Human Computer Interaction Design – IIT Guwahati
M.Des – Human Computer Interaction Design – IIT Guwahati
B.Tech – Agricultural Engineering – NERIST
- Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Fellowship – 2012-13: Department of Social Psychology, University of Texas at Austin.
- Institute Doctoral Fellowship – 2010-2014: IIT Guwahati.
- Institute Postgraduate Fellowship – 2007-2009 (Masters’ Program): IIT Guwahati.
- Dhar, D., Adhikary, S., & Yammiyavar, P. (2012).An evaluation of the effect of navigational tools on cognitive load in a computer based test format. Intelligent Human Computer Interaction (IHCI), 2012 4th International Conference on, vol., no., pp.1, 6, 27-29 Dec. 2012, IEEE digital library, doi: 0.1109/IHCI.2012.6481875.
- Dhar, D., & Yammiyavar, P. (2012).Design Approach for E-learning Systems: Should it be User Centered or Learner Centered. Technology for Education (T4E), 2012 IEEE Fourth International Conference on , vol., no., pp.239,240, 18-20 July 2012, doi: 10.1109/T4E.2012.57.
- Dhar, D., & Yammiyavar, P. (2012).Influence of Culture on the design process of online learning environments. Engineering Education: Innovative Practices and Future Trends (AICERA), 2012 IEEE International Conference on, vol., no., pp.1, 6, 19-21 July 2012, doi: 10.1109/AICERA.2012.6306709.
- Dhar, D., & Yammiyavar, P. (2012). Measuring Success of E-learning Applications: A Review. Published in the proceedings of International Conference on Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, ICEECS 2012.
- Dhar, D., & Yammiyavar, P. (2012). Evaluating e-learning systems: Can we rely only on usability evaluation techniques. Published in the proceedings of Symposium Human Computer Interaction in Virtual learning environments 2012, IITG.
- Yammiyavar, P., & Dhar, D. & (2011).Conceptualizing GUIs-A Case Study of an Online Aptitude Testing System. Research into Design: Supporting Sustainable Product Development (ICORD), 2011 International Conference on, Bangalore, India, 10.-12.01.2011, ISBN: 978-981-08-7721-7.
- Dhar, D., & Yammiyavar, P. (2008). “Understanding Web 2. 0: Design approach to aPortal for e- publishing”; published in the proceedings of CAUE 2008, VIIT Pune.
- Prasanna kr. G. V., Dhar, D., & kumar, R. (2008). “Modelling and optimization of parameters of flow rate of paddy grains through the orifices of drum of drum seeder”, published in the proceedings of NCFM-2008, CMERI, Durgapur.
Industrial Work Experience
- Project Assistant – Centre for Educational Technology, IIT Guwahati
Worked on the project National Program for Technology Enhanced Learning to design and develop virtual learning environments for students outside the IIT system.
- User Experience Analyst, Estuary Labs, Mumbai
Was involved in the design of various commercial web applications, social networking platforms and usability evaluation and redesign of various logistic web application systems.
Yammiyavar, P. and Dhar, D. “ Environmental Graphics and Way-finding: A cognitive Psychology approach”, National Workshop on Deployment and Use of NPTEL course, 30th May, 2013, Royal Group of Institution, Guwahati.
Dhar, D. “User Centered Design approach in Intelligent Buildings”, 19th August, 2011, Department of Civil Engineering, ITM University, Gurgaon, India.