Amidst the numerous fashion course that have mushroomed in all parts of the country. We offer the Indian students a rare opportunity to study on one of the University for the Creative Arts’ (UCA) fashion courses in their native country. The BA (Hons) Fashion Design, degree will be awarded by University for the Creative Arts’ (UCA), UK.
MIT Institute of Design, Pune has collaborated with the UCA, that will see the most popular UCA undergraduate course in Fashion design delivered in the first phase; commencing for the first time on Indian soil in July 2012. The courses will feature the same content as those delivered in the UK, with students studying the very latest design and promotional techniques. The technical collaboration and the faculty exchange shall bring an international exposure to our students. There shall be opportunities for the student exchange and international representation.
In the next phase, the two institutions are also working together to create two new postgraduate courses that will be delivered in India – an MDes Fashion Design and MBA Fashion Management and Marketing. Two more UCA popular undergraduate courses in Fashion Management and Marketing will commence for the first time in July 2013.
The world is looking up to India as a vital source and a potential market for all kind of Fashion consumption! With globalization & the retail boom large fashion conglomerates have flooded the Indian markets with scores of domestic & international brands, companies and designer labels. This trend indicates a requirement for a large number of suitably qualified and equipped fashion professionals to fulfill the needs of the Fashion Industry.
Our Fashion design course, with focused inputs on fashion apparel design has been further customized to Indian market needs; by experienced in-house faculty members and practicing Indian Designers, after identifying the needs of the ever growing Fashion business in India. It requires a balancing act of developing “glocal aesthetics” with a distinctive Indian soul. Concepts of Heritage crafts, economic & environmental: sustainability, ethical fashions, fair trade practices are an essential part of our design projects for the society. We believe fashion is a way of life and affects the way we live. It’s more about defining and enriching the contemporary lifestyles.
It is a skill-based course that allows you the ability to explore your ideas both two and three dimensionally using a variety of techniques and approaches through exciting and challenging projects. Our well integrated multidisciplinary curriculum infuses an in depth knowledge and learning of:
- Design concepts & principles
- Fashion theory,
- Textile science,
- Garment manufacturing technology,
- Liberal arts,
- Research methods
- Forecast studies
- Fashion business & communication
- Information technology.
Students will be guided by systematic and sequential design exploration by drawing, digital, print & surface design; hands-on experience in draping, bespoke tailoring and creative pattern cutting techniques.
The curriculum binds design insight which addresses all niche specializations ranging from Wearable Art, Haute Couture, Prêt-a-porter lines, High Street fashion lines for the renowned Fashion Brands/labels. Pertinent exposures to specified apparel categories like Knitwear, Sportswear, Specialty / Techno Textiles etc.; Sensitivity for specific clothing needs for functionality are highlights of the course.
The graduating students emerge as dynamic professionals equipped with a high skill level, knowledge & concept base acquired from faculties, juries, integrated term projects etc.
MIT Institute of Design has excellent links with industry and often has industry related projects and industry experts collaborating on projects, this keeps the faculty members & students up to date with the industry demands & therefore capable of offering innovative and commercially viable solutions for the fashion & lifestyle industry.
Proposed Resources & infrastructure:
- Design, pattern and production studios with specialist industrial machinery enabling you to cut and manufacture garments, as per industry standard.
- Production rooms with traditional cutting tables, steam presses sewing machines
- Specialist shops on campus for art supplies, materials, trims and fabric. Sourcing trips to market are planned.
- Our IT suites are fully equipped with both PCs and Macs for fashion design and general work, video equipment and scanning and printing facilities. You will have access to all the latest industry design software such as Fashion CAD for design & Pattern, Adobe CS3, Adobe In design, Photoshop and Illustrator, Microsoft Projects and Autodesk 3D Studio MAX.
- Students have full internet access, e-mail and network account and a dedicated student intranet site providing you with 24 hour access to everything from study guides to information links.