MIT ID Team
She is an apparel designer & academician, has recently joined MITID and shall be setting up the Fashion Department from the AY 12-13.
She has a Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree from The M.S. University of Baroda with specialization in Clothing & Textiles and a UGC- NET certification. She has a diverse academic experience and has been mentoring students since 2001, first at her Alma mater- The M.S. University of Baroda, then at The School of Fashion Technology (SOFT) Pune.
She was the founder HOD - Fashion & Associate Professor at Symbiosis Institute of design (SID) Pune, 2006 - 2011. She played a pivotal role in formulating two Bachelor in Design Programs (of 4 year duration), in Fashion Design and Fashion communication respectively to be approved by UGC for the first time in India in 2006.
She has strong interest and a good experience in the following subject areas :
- Socio Psychological aspects of clothing.
- Indian Heritage Textiles.
- Fashion Styling.
- History of World Costume.
- Design Development and Collection planning.
- Craft Documentation studies.
- Core mentor for final year Fashion Communication projects.
ACADEMIC-ADMINISTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES & INITIATIVES AT SID, PUNE
- Design pedagogy, Curriculum development & course details for Fashion design & fashion communication (B. Des.) programs.
- Developing Infrastructures, specialized studios and labs, Resource center.
- Head Hunting for Faculty and recruitment.
- Faculty & student Interactions & briefing.
- Departmental Budgeting & Human & material resource planning and allocation.
- Developing Industry contacts, planning and executing industry visits and internships.
- Conceptualized and mentored the first ever fashion show “Timeless De-tour” 2008 presented by Fashion Department, Symbiosis Institute of Design. The institutional objective is to conserve and bring about a product diversification of the Indian crafts. It is an endeavor to probe into all aspects of handicrafts, historical, social as well as cultural influences. Chairperson-Timeless detour 2009, 2010 & 2011 - 21 craft clusters.
- Chairperson of the main organizing committee for the first two SID Design Show 2010 & SID Showcase 2011- Fashion theater ’11 respectively.
- Preparation of SSR for NAAC accreditation and also the member of the steering committee for the NAAC Peer team visit to SID.
- Spearheaded Institutional membership for Clothing manufacturers association of India –CMAI & IFFTI- International Federation of fashion technology Institutes
- Member Board of studies, faculty of Media communication and design constituted by SIU.
- Member Curriculum Evaluation committee constituted by SIU for all the programs of SIU.
- Member admission committee for international student’s admission for PG Programs at SIU.
- Member of the Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) constituted by SIU.
- Appointed as Paper setter for SET -Symbiosis Entrance Test for Design in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 by SIU.
At present she is enrolled for Ph.D. with the Symbiosis International University. She has keen interest in design research and live projects. A team leader with a proven track record of academic administration; and a good team player for institutional projects / assignments.
She is a firm believer of perseverance and good team work. Promoting the causes of ethical design and sustainability is her constant endeavor & would like to pass the baton to all her students.
She has a significant industry experience in a range of product categories like Institutional & School uniforms for S.Kumar’s Nationwide limited; women’s & men’s apparel for Avant Garde and RTW lines. She has designed for famous fashion brands wherein she gained hands-on experience in the apparel industry in Baroda and Mumbai; designing and merchandising for brands like Globus, Arrow, Pepe Jeans etc.
Good exposure to varied fashion communication areas like Visual merchandising, Styling, Photography, Branding; and several craft sustenance initiatives compliment her professional experience.
The Textile Association of India - Life member.
The Alumni Association of the Clothing and Textiles Dept., The M.S. University of Baroda.-Life Member.
- Freelance designing for select clientele since 1998.
- Inplant training at Leather Garment Division, Tata International Ltd., Dewas ,1999.
- Co-ordinated & styled costumes for “HAANUSH”, a 3 Act Play in Hindi, visualised and directed by Dr. Debal Dasgupta for RUSLAN, staged on 7th & 8th January 2002, Baroda.
- S.Kumars Nationwide Ltd. sponsored the fabric for Dissertation project entitled “A Study of School Uniforms for Secondary School Girls and Creating New Functional Designs”(Submitted as a part of M.Sc. curriculum, Secured an “O” grade for the same , 80% and above) after considering the study useful for the Textile and Apparel Industry.
- Participated as a Solo Designer in the “Fabric Preview Show” organised by S. Kumars Nationwide Ltd., Mumbai and Dexter’s ready to wear School Uniforms, Baroda ,2001 (On this occasion a Ramp Show of school uniforms for children ranging from Kindergarten to High School was organized. Designs for Salwar Kameez, Winter uniforms and sports uniforms were displayed).
- Identity design for Dexter’s ready to wear School Uniforms, Baroda.
- Article published in the Baroda Times, a supplement with The Times of India, Baroda dated Thursday 15th March 2001, entitled as “In a Uniform World, Let’s be different!”
- Participated in various National & International conferences and workshops like; The Textile Association of India, DETM 2005-NID, Images Fashion Forum , Kyoorius Design Yatra , Design India Strategy Meet , “Global Retail- Logic or Magic” organized by Society of Dyers & Colorists etc.
- Facilitated students’ participation as the event crew for CMAI shows, Wills India Fashion Week , New Delhi and Lakme fashion week ,Mumbai & Mercedes Trophy Fashion Show, Blenders pride Shows in Pune Attended the same and interacted with fashion industry stalwarts.
- Invited as guest faculty and External Examiner/jury member by the Shivaji University, Kolhapur, the M.S. University of Baroda, National Institute of Fashion Technology, Navi Mumbai and Symbiosis International University , Pune.
- Quoted in the press for her views on the fashion industry trends several times.
- Resource person for the Design clinic organized by NID, for the Kolhapur chappal cluster in January 2011.